Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Celebrate the small things

Yesterday was not a very good day for me and typically it would have been my ticket to have a full on binge for the rest of the weekend.  I don't think I ate any vegetables yesterday unless you count french fries and spring rolls?  

Looking back on it this morning though I had to pat myself on the back because at least I did not eat meat or dairy and I did not eat after 8pm.  So I celebrated the small goals I was still able to stick with this morning and it helped me stay focused today.

Let me tell you that was not an easy task because I also started my menstrual cycle today (sorry for any guys reading this, but you ladies feel my pain)!  I have to celebrate the fact that I did not push the person out of my car that was eating Reese's Peanut Butter cups in front of me!  I was offered one but I celebrated the fact that I turned it down and did not shove it down his throat.  :) Hey we need to remember the small things that eventually will add up to big rewards.  I did buy some dark chocolate but only ate the serving size.  

Normally I would have said, "Oh one won't hurt, I deserve it!"  But I know myself enough now that one will hurt!  For me it will trigger an eating binge.  If I have milk chocolate then I think I have to have something salty because who can eat sweet without salty right?  So then I'd eat a whole bag of pistachios or a whole bag of chips.  I have to keep reminding myself everyday that NOTHING tastes as good as healthy feels!  

Even though I am still kind of at a plateau right now and am not enjoying the 5 pound a week weight losses, I have to celebrate that I am persevering and maintaining the weight loss.  

I have the perfectionist personality that thinks if I can't do it 100% correctly, why bother doing it at all?  I think that's why I weighed 400 pounds for so long.  I never thought I would be able to lose the weight and keep it off, so why even bother denying myself what makes me feel good right now?  I tried to lie to myself and tell myself that I was going to be happy with who I was, at the weight I was.  But let's face it, who can be happy at 400 pounds?  Who can be truly at peace when normal every day things cause you to have a panic attack for fear of embarrassment?  

I can remember having an anxiety attack every time someone invited me to a restaurant to eat.  I would wonder if they had table and chairs because I knew I wouldn't be able to fit into the booths.  I had to get to the restaurant half an hour before anyone else so that I could ask for a table instead of a booth without being embarrassed about asking in front of whoever invited me.  

So I have to remind myself now that I can celebrate the fact that I can fit in a booth, I can buckle my seatbelt, and I can even bend over and tie my shoe without worrying that my pants will split!

So instead of beating yourself up about all the things you aren't doing right, think of the things you are, no matter how small and pat yourself on the back, because this is not easy, but you are doing it!  What small things can you celebrate today?


2 comments:

  1. Interesting reading. I have to remind myself to make small decisions every meal, every day...I have been having some stomach symptoms and am wondering about a detox. Any thoughts, ladies, from your experience for or against? Susy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susy, I think detoxing is important and you can do it different ways depending on your goals. Anytime you decide to do a detox you should work up to it by drinking water (you can add fresh squeezed lemon) and eating plant based foods. If you have been eating junk/processed foods and then one morning wake up to do a detox, you will more than likely have a rougher time of it. There are lots of products out there that you can take to detox but when I did it, I went 5 days with drinking only water. I'm not recommending that for everyone, especially if you have medical issues. I am actually starting a detox tomorrow but I'm detoxing from candida overgrowth. So I am eliminating most fruits, trail mix, sugars, simple carbs, etc and am taking aloe vera juice with sovereign silver plus apple cider vinegar.

    ReplyDelete