Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

How Many Times Does One Start Over?


I am at a place in my life where I am sick of starting all over! I just want to change and stay with it.  I am even depressed because I feel like I can't get out of my hole! My motivation is very low as well for a lot of reasons.  It cost money to eat healthy! I have to cook for my family and a lot of things the kids will eat that are healthier than what my husband will eat but not as healthy as I would eat.  Here is a example: My husband likes meatloaf and potatoes.  The kids would eat Turkey Meat loaf and I can even add some veggies and they would eat carrots and green beans.  Now me I want to be meat, dairy, sugar, and processed free so my ideal meal would be soup and a salad.  So That is three meals which  I am not going to cook.   When I have the money I will work on doing at least two meals.   Of course I get the advice make what you want and if they don't eat it then they don't eat.  In a perfect world where you don't give a crap about anyone else and how they feel then yes that be great advice.  However in my world I want to make a good meal my husband likes because he works his butt off for his family.   I don't want him to work 12 hour day and then come home to a salad! Sorry he deserves better and I want to be a good wife.  I do know I need to take care of myself as well.  This is why I am writing this blog trying to figure things out and maybe change the way I think about things.

Going back to the reason I wrote the post is I hate starting over! I get I am not giving up and its great to get up and start again once you make the mistake.   I am just sick of making the mistake!!  When I see a cake I want to say no! I don't want my feelings to take control and me eat just because I am depressed! I can be happy as well! Emotional eating sucks! Is there a way around it?  It is like I don't even want to start again unless I know I can reach my goals! Is anyone else out there having the same issues with money and starting over? Any suggestions where to go from here?

4 comments:

  1. I personally find that meat and dairy are also expensive. Lentils are cheap about $3 to $4 a bag and i get a lot of meals out of them.
    i had the same issue with my husband and son not wanting to give up meat, so i made them watch the movies "forks over knives” , "food inc" ect., i started to clean up their diet slowly and since i am the only cook in the house i could do that easily. start by using half meat half lentils or another bean/legume, gradually use less meat until they see that they feel better and the taste is good. It takes a while for us to get the sugar addictions and other additives out of our system and to start feeling better.
    i have been eating a clean diet for 2 years now and have been a vegan for 1 year now, for me i cannot go back, meat messes me up so bad that one meal will effect me if its in there. My son and husband are now also mostly vegans, meaning they might eat meat at a friends house if they have no other choice but to starve.
    i found some good vegan recipes for their favorite dishes like sheperds pie made with lentils , my son says its better than the meat version!
    google some of their favorite dinners and type in “vegan” after it.
    Its not easy i know to get them on board but if you can convince them its also good for their health than maybe you can all enjoy the journey. hth and good luck : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna Thank you for your comment! I appreciate your ideas and I will try them! Thanks for the encouragement:)

      Delete
  2. I am on a journey to health as well, however my diet definitely does include meat, so from a healthier meat eating perspective there are a lot of things you could try that would be a compromise but be better calorie wise for the whole family and still fulfill his meat-eating needs. How does he feel about chicken? I have found some very creative recipes. My newest favorite is salsa chicken-baked breasts or tenders first sprinkled with taco seasoning or seasoning of your choice, topped with salsa of your choice (I recommend homemade!), then 10 minutes before it is done add just enough cheese to cover the top. For tenders it bakes about 30 minutes total and is only 250 calories per serving! Stir fry is also a great solution that could work. I stir fry lean beef (usually just really thin cut steak I have sliced up) with broccoli and carrots because I am picky about certain veggies but you can add tons of veggies and serve his with all the meat and yours with all the veggies! And I stir fry with no fat added...where it says oil, I add garlic water...adds flavor and the point is to add moisture so it doesn't stick to the pan or burn...with lots of veggies you can have a huge plate of food for 200-300 calories! I hope this may give you some ideas...I'm enjoying this blog btw, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah that sounds good I will have to try it the chicken and salsa for sure! Thank you for the suggestions:) I am glad you are enjoying the blog! If you have any other ideas I would love to hear them!

    ReplyDelete