Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2013

I'm not who I used to be

In 2011 I decided to join Weight Watcher's and it was the best thing I did for myself.  I needed the accountability and the support the weekly meetings offered me.  I have made lifelong friends from that group that I will cherish.  

@ my 100 pound Weight Watcher's celebration
I lost my first 100 pounds with Weight Watcher's and it was amazing to have the whole group celebrate my accomplishment with me.  

I can't believe I am now at the point where I can tell people my weight and not have an anxiety attack about it.  So far I've lost a total of 146 pounds and managed to keep it off for the last two years.  I still have about 100 more pounds to go but I am trying to focus on being healthy and let the weight take care of itself.

I decided to go vegetarian back in October of 2011 because I had some severe allergic reactions to certain meats I ate. Pork was the worst where I would wake up in the middle of the night sweating bullets, cramping and stuff coming out of both ends for about half an hour.  So yea that was motivating enough for me to quit eating meat.  Although, at the time I didn't consider bacon meat and still ate that even though I called myself vegetarian! 

Then my friend Kristie told me about Dr. Fuhrman and Eat to Live.  I read the book and like the idea but I thought there is no way I would ever be able to give up cheese.

I slowly began incorporating more fruits and vegetables in my diet and switched to brown rice instead of the packaged rice loaded with preservatives and chemicals.  I guess it was kind of like that saying, "when you know better, you do better".  

I was finally able to go off all of my prescription medicines for heartburn and migraines so that kept me motivated too.  By the end of 2012 I was mostly eating just fruits, veggies, whole grains, nuts/seeds but was still tempted by the unhealthy foods in the house (mainly cheese).  For new year's eve in 2012 I ate half a box of mozzarella cheese sticks, half a box of taquitos and onion rings.  I didn't poop for a week after!  

The horrible feeling I had helped motivate me to say 2013 was going to be completely meat and dairy free.  It's been over 3 months now and I feel confident I can continue this.  Maybe 2014 I will add sugar, oil, and salt free, but for now I am happy with what I have accomplished so far. 
I started at 421 pounds

146 pounds later!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment